If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (337) 269-6332

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Kitchen Fires: A Real Mess

2/11/2016 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Kitchen Fires: A Real Mess Grease fire in a home in Morgan City

It’s Sunday afternoon, you’ve decided to cook chicken wings for dinner.  Your grease is on, you can smell the chicken as it begins to cook, and your stomach is growling.  Any moment now those beautiful chicken wings are going to be ready and you mouth begins to water, but then the phone rings.  It’s your best friend you haven’t spoken to in a month.  You begin to notice an acrid smell, but this is your best friend and he is more important, until your fire alarm goes off.  You drop the phone and turn to see your once delicious smelling chicken wings are now engulfed in flames.  You hang up the phone, dial 911, pour baking soda on the flames and cover the pot.  The fire is out, your home is standing, but now your kitchen is covered in black stains and you can’t get it out and you’re afraid you’ll never stop get rid of the smell of burnt chicken wings.  Now what?

                No need to worry, the team at SERVPRO of Lafayette is at your side.  Our talented staff can clean and restore your home and make it like it never even happened.  Our team members are specially trained in the correct methods to remove soot, stains and odors from your home.  With our patented line of cleaning products and industry leading equipment, we can remove that unsightly black from your walls, neutralize the odor from your home, and even remove damaged furnishings and appliances. 

What can you do to prevent this from happening?

  • Never leave a hot pan unattended.

  • When cooking with grease, always use a pan with a lid.

  • Never pour water on a grease fire.

  • Use baking soda to put out the flame.

  • Keep a fire extinguisher in your home.

  • Monitor cooking grease with a thermometer.  Animal fat has a flashpoint of  375°F while most cooking oils have a flashpoint of around 450°F.

  • If you notice an acrid smell coming from the grease or any signs of smoke, remove the pan from heat immediately.

Other News

View Recent Posts